PREMISE AND PROMISE: Technology and the Future of Transportation
When: Monday, September 23 | 9:00-11:00
Where: Halifax Convention Centre, Ballroom
What to wear: Business casual
New technologies are reshaping our transportation systems—vehicle connectivity, automation, electrification and sharing will unlock the potential of safe, clean mobility and smart, open cities. But when will the revolution arrive? Who is in charge? And what are the risks?
The Opening Plenary will offer vital perspectives and creative suggestions to guide innovation and collaboration across sectors, jurisdictions and disciplines. Our panel of experts will explore key questions:
- How can we protect public safety, security and privacy?
- How can we combat congestion and inequity?
- How can government and industry create successful partnerships?
- How can we manage public and political expectations?
Don’t miss this informed and frank exchange of views from North American leaders. It’s a unique opportunity to learn more about critical changes that are happening now.
Peter Sweatman, Principal of CAVita. Peter is a leading international advisor on transformational technologies in transportation.
- Barbara Gray, City of Toronto, directs the development and implementation of transportation services for Canada’s largest city. Before joining Toronto in 2016 she was Deputy Director of the Seattle Department of Transportation.
- Randy Iwasaki is Executive Director of Contra Costa Transportation Authority. He oversees Contra Costa’s multi-billion-dollar transportation program, and created the largest secure proving ground for connected and autonomous vehicles in the United States.
- Catherine Kargas of MARCON, is a Montreal-based management consultant and a Director of Electric Mobility Canada. Her close involvement in transportation technology ranges from mobility-as-a-service strategies to electric and hydrogen-powered vehicles.
- Jonathon L. Wescott, TappCar Inc., is an Alberta-based lawyer and entrepreneur. He is a co-founder of a ride-hailing company that operates in Western Canada, and offers expertise in insurance, technology development, and advocacy.